Washington, DC DUI Lawyer & Traffic Lawyer The District of Columbia
Hiring a DC DUI lawyer is crucial because the District of Columbia is a “Zero Tolerance” jurisdiction when it comes to getting behind the wheel after consuming alcohol. DUI (Driving Under the Influence) charges are treated possibly harsher than in any other jurisdiction in the country. While the legal limit for Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) is 0.08, you can test below a 0.08 BAC, at a level even as low as 0.01 BAC and still be arrested and convicted for DWI (driving while under the influence), DUI(driving under the influence, or OWI(operating while impaired) if the United States Attorney and police can prove that you were impaired.
Why Hire a Washington, DC DUI Attorney
For this reason, it is critical to hire an experienced Washington, DC DUI lawyer who knows the DC laws to work on your case and develop a proper defense strategy in these areas. It is important to remember that any amount of alcohol in your system can result in a DUI charge and conviction.
New District of Columbia Laws, which took effect on August 1, 2012, and it is still the same for 2019 and has increased the penalties for people convicted of Driving Under the Influence (DUI), driving while intoxicated (DWI), and operating while intoxicated (OWI). One of the many new changes in the law, for example, has the penalty for first-time offenders increased from a maximum fine of $300 and 90 days in jail to a $1,000 fine and 180 days of incarceration.
Potential Penalties For a First-Time DUI Conviction:
- Jail Incarceration up to 180 days (length depends on the BAC level)
- Up to $1000 Fine
- Automatic suspension of your DMV Washington D.C driver’s license upon arrest
- If granted a restricted license, you will be required to pay for and install an ignition interlock device
- Significant points on your Washington D.C driver’s license
Experienced Washington, DC DUI Lawyer
When you are facing a drunk driving charge or any motor vehicle traffic offense, you need fast, accurate answers about your situation and the best way to proceed to protect your rights. The defense attorneys at Ervin Kibria understand your concerns and your sense of urgency in dealing with a difficult situation.
- The consequences for DUI: Clients who reach out to us concerning a DUI arrest often share common questions. These concerns are best addressed by a DC DUI lawyer experienced with DUI cases. While every case is different, clients often struggle with understanding what a DUI conviction would mean. Will there be a criminal record? Do I have to go to trial? Years in jail? Months in jail? I had an accident? Loss of a driver’s license? We are here to listen to your concerns, answer your questions to the best of our ability, and guide through the difficult legal process.
- An aggressive defense: The consequences of a DUI charge often depend on having an experienced dc DUI attorney to represent you. At Ervin Kibria, we have the necessary experience to aggressively investigate, defend and challenge the charges.
- We work with you as an individual: We do not treat cases as if they were a car on an assembly line. We are not a DUI mill. We are personalized. We are accessible. We are hands on. We keep our practice small so we can be completely dedicated to giving our clients the very best representation. When you hire us you have direct access to us, not a law clerk, or a paralegal, or an associate dc DUI attorney.
Whether you are dealing with a DUI charge, a serious local traffic offense that can put points on your driver’s license, or you need a possession of marijuana lawyer, you can depend on the defense lawyers at Ervin Kibria law firm to give you the best advice and determine what’s right for you. Whether We know and understand your rights.